Is Canada an atractive place for housebois

gorcum

I would absolutely consider it since it's been on the list of my dream places to visit, but of course it would just depend on the situation. The main thing that would hold me back is lack of a passport and the time it may potentially require to get one. Also considering I am in the deep south of the U.S. travel would be somewhat expensive, possibly making me less desirable for an employer in Canada, but personally I would jump at any legitimate chance where the details were mutually agreeable.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Guest Traveler

An American cannot just decide to live in Canada or vice-a-versa. An American can go to Canada (assuming he has a clean criminal record) for tourism for up to 90 days, but cannot stay longer without permission from the Canadian government, usually from a work visa or resident alien status. Marriage, of course, would be a way to obtain permanent residence, but I would never marry someone unless I was sure I could get a prenuptial agreement which protected my assets in case of divorce. I lived with a formerly Russian citizen for 12 1/2 years. I got him asylum in this country, permanent residence, US citizenship, an education, equipment to start a business, which led to a nice job. A few months into his nice job, he got his own car (without my knowledge--he had full use of my 2nd car), then left while I was out at a medical conference without even saying goodbye. It was hurtful for him to leave like that, after all I did for him (and what I mentioned is just for starters), but at least all of my assets including my substantial retirement nest egg are intact.