Legal actions available agains scammers

calheart

just wondering if there is legal action that can be taken against scammers that take money and do not follow up on the commitment?

I for one have only been scammed once. The potential employee was sent and agreed to a written job description agreement, which included the amount of relocation reimbursement I was offering. I handled the job offer as professionally as I would any job offer from my company, yet was still taken for the $80.00 advance I sent. Not a large amount, but I read where some here are taken for much more.

Is there any legal statute that exists that if known in advance, potential employers could follow to ensure that they are not scammed?

I know the perfect advice would be to "never send money", but the truth is, some people really do need the assistance up front to relocate.

I would like to hear from others as to how to protect ourselves from the scammers, but still be fair to the men that need the help. Without passion and drama, if at all possible, please.

I know the perfect advice would be to "never send money", but the truth is, some people really do need the assistance up front to relocate.

No they don't. If you can't give them a non refundable ticket to get to you, go and see them. Take a weekend trip and visit them near their home to see if compatible. Only do this after you have spent a good amount of time with them online and in Video. That is my recommendation.

I have NEVER been scammed one time. Never. Not once. Why? I really do vett the guys that I have come to visit me. It is extra work but well worth it. And, yes, I have been to visit some in their locations. Some it worked great. One guy didn't show. But, it was worth my time to visit and plan a nice weekend for myself just in case this guy was going to be great. If someone can't afford to fly to see someone, they really can't afford a houseboy anyway. IMHO

Thank you for that advice, Michael. That is definitely one option. However, the original question was regarding legal recourse against scammers, or better yet, advice on how to proceed through the process of advancing funds for relocation for a professional position. I know that companies regularly provide travel assistance for interviewing potential new employees, and that they also provide minimum advance funds for relocation, with the balance being paid as a reimbursement.

If a company like Microsoft, for instance, were to provide advance funds for interviewing and/or relocation, how do they handle the process? And if a new-hire was to abscond with the funds and not make the trip or the move, how would it be handled? There has be to some kind of statutes at the State or Federal level that provide protection from such actions. It might be covered under fraud statutes, or perhaps embezzlement. Either way, I have no reason to believe that hiring a person to work in your home should be any different.

I'm assuming that a interviewee or new-hire should provide the employer with a verifiable social security number, address, and references. I include a job description and contract with any employee I hire, whether it be for admin staff or house-person.

So, if anyone out there has legal answers, I would like to hear them. Please, no advice on the obvious, just legal advice.

Thanks!

I'm assuming that a interviewee or new-hire should provide the employer with a verifiable social security number, address, and references. I include a job description and contract with any employee I hire, whether it be for admin staff or house-person.

Calheart, sorry but anyone who gives someone they meet online their Social Security number in advance of meeting is a fucking idiot! Plain and simple.

I do not advocate advancing money. I also would never advocate anyone sharing their personal information like a SS number with someone they meet online.

Or, were you offering to provide one for them as well so they can check up on you? Was this a 50/50 offer?

There may be specific statutes but most criminal law is State law and it will vary from place to place. If you're in one State and he's in another, you have the "conflict of law" issue of which State's laws apply. If you're dealing over the internet, there is also the problem of identity (i.e., who, in fact, were you in contact with).

Over $80, nobody will care and you can't afford to pursue action. Or, you can pay a lawyer several $100s to find the law and then spend many hours of your time trying to track him down and get charges filed against the offender.

Michael's advice is good and sound - and the only advice he can give - to protect the site from claims. We all know a site like this will attract scammers, so its clearly on each of us to protect ourselves.

I got taken for $100 of "gas money" by somebody about 600 miles away. I knew it likely was a scam but, if it weren't, it would easily have been worth that. Even as a scam, it was worth $100 to know that and quit investing my time on that guy's potential.

Be careful and good luck!

Thanks Ivanhoe. I certainly was not intending to chase that $80.00! LOL. I figure if he needed $80.00 bad enough to put in the time he did to get it, then he needed it more than I did!

Anyway, your answer about it varying state to state is good information. I was merely putting up a topic for conversation that I thought others who had lost more might be interested in.

Thanks

If someone can't afford to fly to see someone, they really can't afford a houseboy anyway.

I completely disagree. I think that is a very narrow-minded way of thinking. Some people are not in a good situation and DO, indeed, need a helping hand to come see you. To say that because someone cannot afford to travel that they are undeserving of even the slightest bit of consideration is ridiculous and you should be ashamed of saying so.

I completely disagree. I think that is a very narrow-minded way of thinking. Some people are not in a good situation and DO, indeed, need a helping hand to come see you. To say that because someone cannot afford to travel that they are undeserving of even the slightest bit of consideration is ridiculous and you should be ashamed of saying so.

I am not ashamed in the least. My statement was that if an employer can't afford to fly to the houseboy for a visit, then they can't really afford to take care of a houseboy. A houseboy is a luxury for someone that can afford to take good care of him. If that person can't fly to see him, can he really take care of the guy? Really?

Boys are another story. Many can't afford the ticket and need either a ticket OR an employer to travel to them.

So, my statement in context was: And, yes, I have been to visit some in their locations. Some it worked great. One guy didn't show. But, it was worth my time to visit and plan a nice weekend for myself just in case this guy was going to be great. If someone can't afford to fly to see someone, they really can't afford a houseboy anyway. IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

I am not ashamed in the least. My statement was that if an employer can't afford to fly to the houseboy for a visit, then they can't really afford to take care of a houseboy. A houseboy is a luxury for someone that can afford to take good care of him. If that person can't fly to see him, can he really take care of the guy? Really?

Boys are another story. Many can't afford the ticket and need either a ticket OR an employer to travel to them.

So, my statement in context was: And, yes, I have been to visit some in their locations. Some it worked great. One guy didn't show. But, it was worth my time to visit and plan a nice weekend for myself just in case this guy was going to be great. If someone can't afford to fly to see someone, they really can't afford a houseboy anyway. IMHO

Well, Michael, then I guess many "employer" listings are wasting their time on your site. I didn't realize it was only for rich older guys and gold digging younger ones. I had thought furnished room, board, transportation, a safe/sane/secure place to be, with advice/input/assistance from an older, more experienced guy might be enough (or almost enough) to compensate a young guy who wants to take advantage of life's opportunities from a stable base; like your site says: "a close connection with someone". But its looking like your site actually is about exactly what it says it isn't. What a shame. There should be room for all who are honest.

Well, Michael, then I guess many "employer" listings are wasting their time on your site. I didn't realize it was only for rich older guys and gold digging younger ones. I had thought furnished room, board, transportation, a safe/sane/secure place to be, with advice/input/assistance from an older, more experienced guy might be enough (or almost enough) to compensate a young guy who wants to take advantage of life's opportunities from a stable base; like your site says: "a close connection with someone". But its looking like your site actually is about exactly what it says it isn't. What a shame. There should be room for all who are honest.

Please don't misrepresent what I said. I never said it was only for rich older guys or gold digging younger ones. But, if you are unable to afford a airplane ticket to meet a potential guy that you are going to take care of and help him with his life, with school, with a good future, can you really afford him? A plane ticket is very inexpensive. If you can't do that what happens if he has an emergency and need to fly to his family? Or, if tuition is due? Or, if a medical issue comes up and he doesn't have health insurance? All of these things are important to consider before you take someone into your home, your life and your heart.

Please don't misrepresent what I said. I never said it was only for rich older guys or gold digging younger ones. But, if you are unable to afford a airplane ticket to meet a potential guy that you are going to take care of and help him with his life, with school, with a good future, can you really afford him? A plane ticket is very inexpensive. If you can't do that what happens if he has an emergency and need to fly to his family? Or, if tuition is due? Or, if a medical issue comes up and he doesn't have health insurance? All of these things are important to consider before you take someone into your home, your life and your heart.

Michael: I do not want to misrepresent anything. Certainly, your words speak for you, not mine. My reaction was to what I "heard". Maybe I could have been better focused.

Certainly, it will take resources to afford a houseboy but "mere" room, board and transportation are significant resources too. But perhaps my biggest complaint is the notion that flying out to visit a potential houseboy should be ordinary or typical, and preferred in all cases, to sending him $100 travel money. One can't fly far for $100. And that doesn't count the income lost due to being away from work. Not everybody is free to fly around the country, especially those who actually need a houseboy's help.

In many cases, the houseboy's pay/benefits and taxes thereon will be personal expense. That means the houseboy will cost the employer almost twice as much of his income as the houseboy actually gets. If an employer controls a business and is willing to cheat, all the houseboy's cost could be tax deductible and, thus, cost the employer many fewer total dollars.

The point is: there are lots of different situations. I hope the site, and your comments, will allow room for all of them, as long as they are honest.

Thanks for making a reply. It allows more information and understanding to come forth.

As an Business consultant with a specialty in finance I can tell you that there is always some recourse when a business or person absconds with payment without delivering service. However I also understand that in most cases the imposition placed on you to seek out that recourse is usually more difficult on you than the punishment would be for the absconder. If you really would like to seek out a recourse you can call your state attorney's office and the State attorney of the state that you sent the funds to and they can recommend a course of action as each state has their own set of laws to deal with these things and Lord help you if you sent the money by wire transfer as this will automatically involve the feds (who on a good day are two weeks behind). Honestly I would just take this as a lesson and move on there are some good suggestions up already on how to handle this type of thing and frankly $80 isn't a bad price to learn that lesson for most of my client the price is somewhere around 250k